Friday, March 2, 2012

Speak by Laurie Halse Anderson

Release Date: 22, Oktober, 1999
Publisher: Square Fish (imprint of Macmillan)
Age Group: Young Adult

Pages: 198
Format: Paperback
Challenge: 70 Book Challenge



Melinda Sordino busted an end-of-summer party by calling the cops. Now her old friends won't talk to her, and people she doesn't even know hate her from a distance. The safest place to be is alone, inside her own head. But even that's not safe. Because there's something she's trying not to think about, something about the night of the party that, if she let it in, would blow her carefully constructed disguise to smithereens. And then she would have to speak the truth. This extraordinary first novel has captured the imaginations of teenagers and adults across the country.

First sentence: "It is my first morning of High School."

Review
Every time I finish one of Lauries books I am left with amazement. Because she gets to me. This book was no diferent. I thought the book was very good, it's written and told in a way that makes it very realistic. I feel that it is written more like a streem of conciouns than anything else. The writing is great and it fits the character of Melinda. 

The subject that is braught up in the book is very serious and that is part of the reason why I thought it was so good. I like reading books like this because they're very different from the genres I usually read, I feel that I learn something, and through this book I did. It is a very sad book, and at points I felt almost sick because of how horrible Melinda had it. 

The characters in the book were well written, though the only character we really got to know was Melinda. The plot was good, and very important. I think books like this one are important. They shed light on things you don't think about everyday, but things that are happening to people out there, serious things. 

This book is definitly worth reading, it is a powerful book and I can see why it has been nominated for so many awards.

I really liked it:

Until next time - happy reading ♥,
Helene

1 comment:

  1. I read this book quite a long time ago, so my memory of it is a little bit hazy, but I remember it being so compelling and powerful. In fact, I might have to dig it out and read it again one of these days! Glad you enjoyed it. :)

    ReplyDelete

Thank you so much for stopping by the blog and leaving a comment. You're awesome!